Home | Previous Page | Print Page
Trainings offered to staff at Vita/Mens Sana:
1. Two Day New Employee Orientation Process
New employees are welcomed to the organization with an introduction to Vita/Mens Sana’s mission, vision and values. An opportunity is provided to the new employee to meet and interact with their direct supervisor and discuss upcoming trainings, job expectations and department goals. During this two-day orientation process new employees are introduced to various department staff, their roles within the organization, and the goals they are working towards. Health and Safety policies are reviewed as well as HR policies and best practices. Teamwork games and activities round out this orientation to make a fun, welcoming, interactive learning experience for all.
2. DSW Apprenticeship Program
The Developmental Services Worker (DSW) Apprenticeship is a program offered through the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU), which provides the opportunity for an individual to work while receiving training. Most of the training happens on the job, but the apprentice also completes courses offered through an approved Community College. MTCU will pay approximately 80% of the registration fees for courses taken by an apprentice towards a Certificate of Apprenticeship and Vita/Mens Sana will reimburse a full-time employee the remaining 20% upon providing proof of successful completion of the course. After completing the training, the apprentice receives a Certificate of Apprenticeship. The DSW Apprenticeship Program is offered to all employees while employed at Vita/Mens Sana. To learn more about the DSW Apprenticeship Program, please contact Angela Bakker, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Supervisor Mentorship Program
The Supervisor Mentorship Program is designed to support employees who are interested in a supervisory role within the agency. The interested employee will be provided with a Mentor who will work alongside the employee to train on the specified learning outcomes in the program. This program has been developed and designed to provide employees with the career advancement opportunities to be promoted within the agency and to ensure that they are provided with the assistance they need for advancement to the next level.
4. Dual Diagnosis Program
This Certificate Program in Dual Diagnosis offered in partnership with the Griffin Centre and George Brown College is directed at helping professionals who are supporting individuals with a Dual Diagnosis. This is particularly useful to the staff who are interested in expanding their knowledge and skill base in working with this population. Participants will examine current thinking in a number of areas such as assessment, person-centered planning, ethical considerations, working with families, sex-offending behaviours, pharmacology approaches, crisis intervention and building responsive service systems which are specific to working with individuals with a dual diagnosis and their families. The eight modules will constitute 50 hours of education and training and will focus on providing an integrated and coordinated service approach when working with individuals, families, and service providers. Participants will have the opportunity to integrate theoretical knowledge with current situations they are experiencing in their settings in order to increase their knowledge and skills when working with consumers, families, and service providers in the area of dual-diagnosis. Emphasis will be placed on working from a framework that stresses person-centered planning and a recovery model approach based on empowerment principles and developing resources for a consumer and their support systems.